Graphics H/W for W95 server

Thu, 08 Oct 1998 15:28:15 +0000

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, John Logsdon wrote:

> Am I better advised to go AGP on-board, AGP off-board, a standard PCI
> graphics card or as much videoRAM as I can afford?  Or any two of these?
> Price is an issue, but VNC helps with that since I can save a screen and
> poke the W95 box away under a shelf somewhere.

WinVNC reads the graphics data back in from the graphics card after it has
been drawn to it by applications, so you want to get hardware that will
make reading and writing the display as fast as possible - AGP will help
with this, probably quite significantly, by reducing tha amount of PCI
traffic and being generally faster anyway.  As for memory, you'll just
need however much video RAM you would use normally.  WinVNC does allocate
some large buffers in main memory but obviously that doesn't affect how
much video RAM you need.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000