Help porting Xvnc to AIX v4.2.1

Charles Hines chuck_hines "at" VNET.IBM.COM
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 15:10:12 +0000

MG>     Sorry if this is the second time around. I mailed this yesterday
MG> to vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk and did not see it in today's digest. Thought I
MG> might have messed something up, so here goes again. Plus I forgot to
MG> add that I am running Aix v4.2.1.

MG>     I found  Harold van Oostrum's patch for AIX v4.2 and I applied it

MG> and tried to build vnc. But when building Xvnc the linker complained
MG> of undefined symbols. One of which was "limitDataSpace."

If you use the patch I provided (found on the VNC contribs page) for AIX
4.1.4, it should work just fine for AIX 4.2 as well (I tried it on an AIX
4.2 machine and had no problems).

MG>     I then found Karl Hakimian's patch for HPUX that addresses those
MG> undefined symbols on the HP and tried it. Basically all I did was
MG> comment out the #ifdef logic so that the file sys/resource.h was
MG> always included in the osinit.c, and utils.c files.

MG>     That seemed to get me a little further, but now the build stops
MG> at:
MG>         xlc_r -o Xvnc -O -D__STR31__ -DNDEBUG
MG> -L../../exports/lib  dix/libdix.a os/libos.a ../../lib/Xau/libXau.a
MG> ../../lib/Xdmcp/libXdmcp.a ../../exports/lib/libfont.a
MG> hw/vnc/libvnc.a ../../../libvncauth/libvncauth.a cfb/libcfb.a
MG> cfb16/libcfb.a cfb24/libcfb.a cfb32/libcfb.a mfb/libmfb.a
MG> dix/libxpstubs.a mi/libmi.a Xext/libext.a
MG> -blibpath:/usr/lib:/usr/lib/threads:/usr/lib:/lib     -lm  -ldbm
MG> -bnodelcsect
MG> Target "all" is up to date.
MG> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 10.
MG>  (continuing)
MG> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
MG>  (continuing)
MG> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
MG>  (continuing)
MG> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 2.
MG> Stop.

MG>     I am running AIX v4.2.1.0

MG>     Any ideas ?

It looks like it built the Xvnc executable just fine.  If the exec actually
exists (and works) just ignore those make errors.  I never saw them when
using my patch, by the way.

MG>     Should I just build with gcc and not IBM's cc ?

The IBM compiler works fine for building VNC.

Chuck

Charles K. Hines <chuck_hines "at" vnet.ibm.com>
IBM Logic Synthesis Developer [BooleDozer (TM)]
Martial Arts Instructor [Modern Arnis and Balintawak Escrima]

             -- of course, we ARE still in Hell." (Gary Larson)