Graphics H/W for W95 server

John Logsdon j.logsdon "at" lancaster.ac.uk
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 11:32:21 +0000

Hi VNC-ists

I am currently lurking on the list while using VNC with a Linux server and
W95 viewer and this is fine.  However, I plan to reverse this and get a
specific W95 box and view through a Linux box - this removes the intense
irritation of W95 which I have to use for some projects and will enable me
to do some proper work under Linux which is >10^10 times better.  However
I appreciate that this is not the best way to use VNC although my
applications are not graphic-intensive.

Having just looked at the latest list of m/boards, some now come with AGP
onboard.  Since the server will be running pure W95 and the display for
W95 IS the graphics 'card', my question is:

Am I better advised to go AGP on-board, AGP off-board, a standard PCI
graphics card or as much videoRAM as I can afford?  Or any two of these?
Price is an issue, but VNC helps with that since I can save a screen and
poke the W95 box away under a shelf somewhere.

John