vnc-list-digest V1 #94

Kenneth Albanowski kjahds "at" kjahds.com
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 02:17:55 +0000

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Ashwin Kovummal wrote:
>
> > HI,
> >
> > Can we remote just one application from the server to the remote system
> > under windows NT ?. Currently as I see the server, the entire desktop is
> > remoted across.
>
> Currently, VNC will only remote the entire desktop.
>
> >  If anybody has tried this or knows if the existing apps can be modified
> > to handle this It would be great.
>
> In principal this modification could be made.  The main limitation is
> really in establishing which windows to remote - is it always sufficient
> to remote all the windows created by a particular application, for
> example?  It's not quite as simple as just remoting all the windows as if
> they were separate desktops.  Also, what would happen when a window was
> re-sized?  It would make an interesting and probably quite useful
> extension to the existing system, though, if someone decided to put the
> time in to try it. :)

I've wondered if this idea could be extended a bit further. By maintaining
a backing store, windows that are overlapped by other windows could still
be displayed. It might even be possible (by hooking the Windows drawing
functions at the GDI layer instead of the video driver layer) to properly
update windows that are underneath other windows.

If all of that is possible, the result would be that you could pop up a
VNC window per Windows application -- add a few more hooks for resizing
the window, and you'd be able to export just about any Windows app to any
other platform, without needing to carry the entire desktop along with it.
And this would work for more then one app at a time, giving a limited form
of multi-user ability, among other things.

(This sort of speculation also makes me wonder just how Citrix pulled it
off.)

--
Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds "at" kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)