VNC error using multiple viewers at once

Dan Mick dan.mick "at" West.Sun.COM
Wed, 07 Oct 1998 02:16:07 +0000

> I would like to use VNC to allow several people to view the same screen
> at once.  I gather from reading the various docs and archived list
> messages that it is supposed to be possible to connect multiple viewers
> to a single VNC server.
>
> I can connect one viewer to my VNC server just fine, but when I try to
> connect a second one, the first one quits and prints the message
> "vncviewer: read failed" (this doesn't happen until I enter the password
> in the second client).

For me, specifying "-shared" to the viewer invocations solves this.
You can also set some option in the registry for WinVNC, but if
you're not using WinVNC as the server, that won't help you.
Try -shared on the client invocations.