VNC without initial password (unix)

Michael Zakharoff imjz "at" airborne.com
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 19:05:01 +0000

We are running an HP-UX based server (10.20) with W95/NT clients.  I
would like to set up a bunch of read-only xterm-type VNC services that
people on our local intranet can access without a password.

Is there anyway that VNC can operate without that initial "VNC auth"
screen?   I looked at the source code for some magic password entry in
the /home/user/.vnc/passwd file (like maybe "disabled") or something,
but there doesn't seem to be one.

On the other hand, is there a way to pass the password on the URL
command string (i.e.):

http://webserver:5801?the_password

THAT would solve my problem.  I could then set up a web page with all of
the services I want, imbedding the password in the web page or maybe
through a CGI script

Is this possible?