VNC - File Transfers

Kenneth Albanowski kjahds "at" kjahds.com
Sun, 04 Oct 1998 23:25:18 +0000

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Kenneth Albanowski wrote:

> It seems that off-the-shelf or custom designed file transfer apps can do
> everything needed, the only trick is getting the server/client on to the
> Windows box in the first place, and then launching it with the appropriate
> IP addresses. All this seems to need is a primitive method to get a few
> files from one side to another (to bootstrap up to a complete
> file-transfer app), and something to help launch the app.
>
> Since the server already has a limited web server, it shouldn't be too
> difficult to allow files to be uploaded via the same server -- that would
> give us file transfer in both directions.

Actually, I should take this back: since both the VNC client and server
are installed on their respective machines, _some_ files have already been
transferred, via an unspecified, external-to-vnc method. Any desired file
transfer agents could, and should, have been installed at that same time.
(This also simplifies the security aspect.)

My point about making it easy to launch such programs still stands.

--
Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds "at" kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)