VNC - File Transfers

Kenneth Albanowski kjahds "at" kjahds.com
Sun, 04 Oct 1998 21:24:10 +0000

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:

> We've always shied away from adding anything that wasn't simply display-related
> to the protocol, because of the bloat problem and to simplify the creation of
> clients.  We compromised a bit with cut & paste, and the bell, but I think file
> transfer would be a low priority for us since there are various other ways of
> doing this.  Remote printing likewise.  Ports to other platforms and encryption
> are higher on the list at present
>
> However, having said all that, remember that the servers do already incoporate a
> crude web server, and so with the X server at least you can make files available
> for download to a web browser just by putting them in the same directory as the
> classes.  I often keep a copy of the Win32 viewer there...

It seems that off-the-shelf or custom designed file transfer apps can do
everything needed, the only trick is getting the server/client on to the
Windows box in the first place, and then launching it with the appropriate
IP addresses. All this seems to need is a primitive method to get a few
files from one side to another (to bootstrap up to a complete
file-transfer app), and something to help launch the app.

Since the server already has a limited web server, it shouldn't be too
difficult to allow files to be uploaded via the same server -- that would
give us file transfer in both directions. To easily launch programs, it
seems that all we need is a program running on the server that can tell
what client(s) are currently connected to the server, and make the IP
address(es) available, perhaps something like:

  vncrun ftp @CLIENT@

(Assuming that it would be useful to start 'ftp' on the server to connect
to an ftp daemon running on the client.)

I can't see any way of supporting this launching notion on the client side
in a remotely portable manner, given that the client is just an app, which
may not even have a menu (e.g., X).

> Quentin
>
> Aaron DiLapi wrote:
>
> > I think its a good idea to have file transfers.  I find there are situations
> > where it would be incredibly useful, as it is I use text cut/paste through
> > VNC a lot.  I think there is probably some very easy way to implement file
> > transfers without doing a full FTP implementation, it really wouldn't add a
> > whole lot of "bloat" to VNC, and I think it would be well worth it.
> >
> > -Aaron DiLapi
> >      Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Class of 2000
> >      Electronic Media Arts & Communications
> >      http://www.rpi.edu/~dilapi
> >      (518) 276-4689

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds "at" kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)