VNC - File Transfers

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Sat, 03 Oct 1998 20:05:08 +0000

We've always shied away from adding anything that wasn't simply display-related
to the protocol, because of the bloat problem and to simplify the creation of
clients.  We compromised a bit with cut & paste, and the bell, but I think file
transfer would be a low priority for us since there are various other ways of
doing this.  Remote printing likewise.  Ports to other platforms and encryption
are higher on the list at present

However, having said all that, remember that the servers do already incoporate a
crude web server, and so with the X server at least you can make files available
for download to a web browser just by putting them in the same directory as the
classes.  I often keep a copy of the Win32 viewer there...

Quentin