VNC - File Transfers

Robert J. Brown rj "at" eli.elilabs.com
Sat, 03 Oct 1998 19:29:52 +0000

    Aaron> I think its a good idea to have file transfers.  I find
    Aaron> there are situations where it would be incredibly useful,
    Aaron> as it is I use text cut/paste through VNC a lot.  I think
    Aaron> there is probably some very easy way to implement file
    Aaron> transfers without doing a full FTP implementation, it
    Aaron> really wouldn't add a whole lot of "bloat" to VNC, and I
    Aaron> think it would be well worth it.

And while were at it, "you want fries with that?"  :-)

Once we start duplicating the functionality of other freeware just for
the sake of one bloated "one program does everything" piece of free
software, we make a mess for everyone.

What would maybe make more sense would be an installation package for
those poor little deprived Microsoft using machines that installed ftp
client and server at the same time vncclient or server was being
installed.  Packaging such a combo would not be within the charter of
either the vnc people, or the ftp people, or whatever, but would
represent an effort in and of itself.

Those of us who work mostly with Unix do not have these problems, as
these tools are usually part of the default system anyway.

If an installation package of several tools meets the needs of a wide
group of users, then this is a good idea.  I just do not think it is a
good vnc idea.  It is a seperate effort by possibly different people.

--
--------  "And there came a writing to him from Elijah"  [2Ch 21:12]  --------
R. J. Brown III  rj "at" elilabs.com http://www.elilabs.com/~rj  voice 847 543-4060