Strange problems entering passwords

Kenneth Albanowski kjahds "at" kjahds.com
Thu, 01 Oct 1998 16:56:31 +0000

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Greg Hewgill wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 08:30:59AM -0400, David S. Goldberg wrote:
> > I type in my password.  No go.  However if I type the same password on
> > the NT box's keyboard it works just fine.
>
> If I connect to an NT machine from a Linux box, the right hand shift key
> doesn't seem to work. Since the left hand shift key works okay, I haven't
> really looked into the problem. Could this be what you're seeing?

xkeycaps (if installed, I forget whether it is stock) should let you play
interactively around with the X keysyms. The right modifier keys are all
distinct from the left ones, by default, and vnc apparently isn't
translating the right ones in a manner that is useful for us. I just
copied the left one's keysyms over the right ones.

> Greg Hewgill

Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds "at" kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)