Caps lock

Martin C. Mueller mcm "at"
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:36:54 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 29 Mar 1998 19:25:08 +0100 (BST)
> From:          "James [Wez] Weatherall" <jnw "at">
> To:            "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel "at">
> Cc:            vnc-list "at"
> Subject:       Re: Caps lock

> On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> > In other words, after I press Caps_Lock, vncviewer only sees cap'd
> > letters, right?  Because Win95 and not vnc is processing the
> > caps-lock?
> Yes.  Once the Windows client end of the connection has Caps-Lock set,
> Windows will supply uppercase characters to the viewer, even though the
> server end isn't set to caps-lock mode.
> I have no idea how easy it is to fiddle with the Windows character
> mappings (I assume it involves writing your own keyboard layout.)

As far as I can see it's very much the same as with the control key.
Assuming the server already knows the state of the CapsLock key you
just need to reset the VK_CAPITAL toggle bit in the lpKeyState
parameter of ToAscii, like it's done for the control key in
KeyMap::PCtoX() (of course, there the down bit is adressed, fwiw).

Just my 2pc,

Martin C. Mueller           |              Institut fuer
Mail: mcm "at"    |  Techno- und WirtschaftsMATHEMATIK e.V.
Tel.: 0631/205-4472         |        Abteilung Prof. Dr. Hamacher
Fax.: 0631/205-4139         |
Post: Erwin-Schroedinger-Strasse, D-67663 Kaiserslautern