"Xtee"

Allen S. Firstenberg prisoner "at" addventure.com
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 16:58:46 +0000

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

> I'm still a bit jealous that Win95 users get to access their desktops
> without making any changes, but we Unix users have to setup a new
> desktop to be shared.  While this is great when moving from station to
> station, running Xvnc and vncviewer on the same machine instead of
> just (in my case) Xfree86 has its problems.

[...]

I know that Xfree86 doesn't imply Linux, but its a strong possibility.  You
may want to look into the svga client for vnc.  This leaves one x server
(Xvnc) on your machine, and a much more lightweight client on the monitor or
remotely as necessary.

I'm not sure how well xdm would work under this scheme, and there are
probably a couple of other drawbacks, but this is the solution I'm (slowly)
persuing.  Right now, having a window inside my "normal" xwindows
environment is a bit irritating.

Allen
prisoner "at" addventure.com