"Xtee"

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel "at" exc.com
Sun, 29 Mar 1998 14:10:48 +0000

I'm still a bit jealous that Win95 users get to access their desktops
without making any changes, but we Unix users have to setup a new
desktop to be shared.  While this is great when moving from station to
station, running Xvnc and vncviewer on the same machine instead of
just (in my case) Xfree86 has its problems.

So my first thought was to take on the task of merging the Xvnc
sources with Xfree86, so that my current X server would also act as a
vnc server.  But I don't know anything about the X sources, and so I
don't have the time I would need to do this.

So my second thought is this: Is an X program like the unix "tee," but
bidiretional, feasable?  That is, how hard would it be to make a dummy
X server that just multiplexes two other X servers, sending all the
I/O from one to the other and vice versa.  Then it would be possible
to run XFree86 and Xvnc on the same desktop.  Would this work?  Is it
hard?

-Joel
(joel "at" exc.com)