Caps lock

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel "at" exc.com
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 20:47:09 +0000

I use caps lock for control (and I've become VERY used to this.)  I
tried using xmodmap in an xterm running under Linux (Xvnc) and viewed
under Win95 (vncviewer) to make Caps_Lock into Control, the way I do
from the console, and it almost works.  I can use Caps_Lock as
control, but it >also< invokes caps lock.

Is this a Win95 bug?  Is there any way around it?  Two work-arounds
come to mind:

	1.  Changing Caps_Lock to Control for all of Win95 (I would
	    love this, but I don't think it can be done.)

	2.  Putting a key-translation table into vncviewer.  I don't
	know if this would help, though, because it looks like the
	problem is that vncview is getting keys from Win95, which is
	still seeing the caps lock and send caps.

-Joel
(joel "at" exc.com)