still problems with vnc/RH5

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 18:30:06 +0000

> Ok, I followed directions on FAQ, I added
> system("xauth -f $xauthorityFile add $host/unix:$displayNumber . $cookie");
> right under the line the FAQ said
>
> Yet still I can't connect to it with netscape(even when I start vncserver as
> root)
> and X.log still says the following.
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> help?

This sound like Xvnc is dying.  Try running Xvnc directly without the
vncserver wrapper:

  % Xvnc :1

If it dies straight away then this is your problem.  If it appears to stay up
then try from another xterm (or background Xvnc first):

  % xdpyinfo -display :1

If this works then the vncserver script ought to.

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |