VNC as a teaching tool?

Al Piszcz 'peesh' apiszcz "at" vector2.mitre.org
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:41:15 +0000

It sounds like the internal CORBA version offers features
for customization of the streams (KEYBD/MOUSE/RFB),
is there any plans to release this?

Is it based on OmniORB?

THanks.

> From owner-vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk Thu Mar 26 07:16:38 1998
> To: Wes Barris <wesb "at" networkcs.com>
> cc: vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk
> Subject: Re: VNC as a teaching tool?
> Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:18:48 +0000
> From: Tristan Richardson <tjr "at" orl.co.uk>
>

> > 1) I would like to make all (but one) of the vncviewers "output only"
> >    so that the students can see what the instructor is typing without
> >    being able to affect the rest of the class with their own mouse and
> >    keyboard.
> >
> >    I know the Windows version (WinVNC) has a "Disable Remove Keyboard
> >    & Pointer" checkbox.  Is there anything similar on the client side
> >    in the X version?
>
> We use our internal CORBA version to control this kind of thing.  The easiest
> way to achieve this is to hack out all the calls to SendKeyEvent,
> SendPointerEvent and SendClientCutText from vncviewer/x.c and recompile
> vncviewer.
>

> > 2) Copy and paste.  I would like the students to be able use the mouse to
> >    copy strings of text out of the vncviewer window and paste them into an
> >    xterm running from their own X server.  Is this possible?  Right now it
> >    looks like a different cut buffer is being used for xterms displayed
> >    within the vncviewer.  (NOTE: this is in an all-SGI environment.)
>
> If you disable pointer input from a viewer, there is no way that the student
> can select text inside the VNC desktop.  However, if the instructor selects
> some text then it should be available for the student to paste -- though
> xcutsel is required for certain apps as Richard Offer mentioned in an earlier
> reply.
>
> Cheers
>
> Tristan

> |  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
> |  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
> |  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
> |  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
> |          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |

- < Al Piszcz | apiszcz "at" mitre.org | MITRE Corporation | 703.883.7124/3308 FAX >