VNC as a teaching tool?

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 10:22:34 +0000

> 1) I would like to make all (but one) of the vncviewers "output only"
>    so that the students can see what the instructor is typing without
>    being able to affect the rest of the class with their own mouse and
>    keyboard.
>
>    I know the Windows version (WinVNC) has a "Disable Remove Keyboard
>    & Pointer" checkbox.  Is there anything similar on the client side
>    in the X version?

We use our internal CORBA version to control this kind of thing.  The easiest
way to achieve this is to hack out all the calls to SendKeyEvent,
SendPointerEvent and SendClientCutText from vncviewer/x.c and recompile
vncviewer.

> 2) Copy and paste.  I would like the students to be able use the mouse to
>    copy strings of text out of the vncviewer window and paste them into an
>    xterm running from their own X server.  Is this possible?  Right now it
>    looks like a different cut buffer is being used for xterms displayed
>    within the vncviewer.  (NOTE: this is in an all-SGI environment.)

If you disable pointer input from a viewer, there is no way that the student
can select text inside the VNC desktop.  However, if the instructor selects
some text then it should be available for the student to paste -- though
xcutsel is required for certain apps as Richard Offer mentioned in an earlier
reply.

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |