VNC as a teaching tool?

Richard Offer offer "at" morgaine.engr.sgi.com
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:24:26 +0000

* $ from wesb "at" networkcs.com at "25-Mar: 2:23pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
*
*
* 2) Copy and paste.  I would like the students to be able use the mouse to
*    copy strings of text out of the vncviewer window and paste them into an
*    xterm running from their own X server.  Is this possible?  Right now it
*    looks like a different cut buffer is being used for xterms displayed
*    within the vncviewer.  (NOTE: this is in an all-SGI environment.)

>From a suggestion yesterday by Tristan, you can get it to work using xcutsel.

Here what I do.

In .Xdefaults.

xcutsel*sel-cut.label: From X
xcutsel*cut-sel.label: From VNC
vncsel*sel-cut.label: To X
vncsel*cut-sel.label: To VNC

I start xcutsel in the X environment, then I start another inside VNC, but this
one with -name vncsel appended on the command line.

To move text from X to VNC select it, then hit "From X" button, then hit "To
VNC" button, then paste as normal inside the VNC session.

To move text from VNC to X, select it, then hit "To X", then "From VNC" then
paste as normal.

[By renaming the buttons to be different its easy for me to remember which to
hit]

HTH.

richard.

Richard M. Offer        Widget FAQ --> http://reality.sgi.com/widgetFAQ