Windows VNC packages upgraded to R12

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 18:49:14 +0000

The Windows binary and source packages have been upgraded to R12.  We have
decided that this stands for Revision 12, not Release 12, because we don't
release all our revisions!  Think of it as the build number of the WinVNC
server.

The changes to the viewer are minimal, but handy:

* The connection dialog now has a pull-down list of the last few
connections, so you don't have to type the hostname so often.
* The menu of the viewer window now has a 'New connection...' option, making
it easier to connect to multiple desktops at once.  Before this you had to
use the -listen option or run multiple copies of the viewer.

There is little visible in the way of extra functionality in the server -
the main changes are behind the scenes.  In particular, the black-background
bug and the border-redrawing bug are now fixed, and the server now
*requires* you to have a password set, rather than just warning you.

We recommend that people upgrade, but anybody using a version earlier than
R9 should certainly upgrade.  The version of the server is given in the
About box, available from the icon on the system tray.  The viewer is now on
R4.

----
Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser
The Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab