Local Cursor?

Sun, 22 Mar 1998 15:59:56 +0000

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> The idea of furthur data compression (via zlib) is GREAT, as I have found that WinVNC is mildly usable over a 28.8 link
> already... but there's something else that would make the experience of using VNC more pleasant as well:  A local cursor.
> I'm sure Xvnc could trap the cursor, and I know the windows client should be able to project a local cursor... does anyone
> know if the other X clients and JAVA clients could project a local cursor and if the WinVNC server could capture the cursor
> and make sure it's not shown?

The WinVNC server goes to some lengths to actually _get_ the remote
(server-end) cursor.  By default, it wouldn't be shown.  If people don't
want the server-end cursor to be rendered, then adding that as an option
is trivial.  We currently use remote-end cursors because they give
intuitive feedback as to the latency of the connection.  The downside is
that they can be rather difficult to get used to.

I hope that answers your question!

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000