X vncviewer refreshing

Tomasz Barszczak tomba "at" hepxvt.ps.uci.edu
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 00:39:14 +0000

Hi VNC people,

I have tried VNC for displaying X applications
from Unix workstations at work
to Linux machine at home over modem.

It works nice. The greatest surprise was when cut&paste worked.

However the window refreshes slowly after being obscured.
(I use fvwm window manager and switch frequently between virtual screens.)
It seems to poll the server to re-paint portion of the screen,
even though this portion has not changed.
It slows it down very much.

It could have saved the screen in some pixmap instead.
The Java viewer in Netscape for example does not have this problem.
I would imagine this problem is not difficult to fix.
What do you think?
If you are afraid it would use too much server resources then
a switch could be added e.g. -usepixmap.

Tomasz Barszczak  http://www.ps.uci.edu/~tomba/

P.S. I am not on the mailing list.