Missing options in VNCviewer for X documentation ?

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:55:27 +0000

Some of you have asked about the undocumented options for the X vncviewer.
Most are not particularly useful - they were mainly added to allow me to test
various features of the protocol and the servers.  However, since you ask:

  -raw, -copyrect, -rre, -corre, -hextile, -nocopyrect, -norre, -nocorre,
  -nohextile

    These options affect which encodings vncviewer tells the VNC server
    it can cope with.  Normally it requests CopyRect, Hextile, CoRRE and
    RRE in that order.  The options alter this behaviour in the obvious
    way, e.g. specifying just -raw means Raw will be requested before any
    of the others, specifying -norre means don't request RRE, etc.

  -depth <d>

    This is only useful on a (real) X server which supports multiple
    depths.  On such a display vncviewer will try to find a Visual of the
    given depth.  If successful this means that the appropriate pixel
    format will be requested from the VNC server.  You cannot use this to
    force a particular depth from the VNC server.  The only option which
    does this is -bgr233.

  -truecolour

    vncviewer will try to find an X visual of the TrueColor class.

  -owncmap

    vncviewer will try to find a PseudoColor visual and use its own
    Colormap.

  -bgr233

    This requests from the VNC server the 8-bit true colour pixel format
    with the most significant two bits of each byte representing the blue
    component, the next three bits representing green and the least
    significant three representing red.  This is the same format used by
    the java client.

  -period <ms>

    This tells vncviewer not to request incremental framebuffer updates
    more often than the given period in milliseconds.  If you have a very
    fast client and server, you can use this option to limit the rate of
    updates - this can result in using less network bandwidth.

  -delay <ms>

    This is useful for checking exactly which parts of the screen are being
    updated.  For each update rectangle vncviewer puts up a black rectangle
    for the given time before putting up the pixel data.  This only works
    for raw pixel data (i.e. specify -raw as well).

  -debug

    Many of you have discovered this one.  This prints out all the data
    received from the VNC server in both hex and ASCII.

  -listen

    This is used for ORL's internal version of VNC.  It causes vncviewer
    to listen on port 5500+<display-number> for reverse connections from
    a VNC server.  See http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/internalversion.html

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |