Local Cursor?

David A Vincent davidv "at" hsa.com.au
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 22:24:10 +0000

Stefan Hudson <hudson "at" mbay.net> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 1998 at 03:19:15PM -0600, Mike Silbersack wrote:
[...]
> >know if the other X clients and JAVA clients could project a local
> >cursor and if the WinVNC server could capture the cursor
> >and make sure it's not shown?
>
> Actually, I prefer it the way it is... seeing the actual remote cursor
> makes it easy to tell how lagged you are over the connection.  The local
> (client side) cursor points to where you want to go, the remote cursor
> shows where the remote machine actually IS.  I don't find it too
> confusing to have two cursors.
>
> My experience is only between an NT server and a Unix client... it may
> behave differently on other platforms?

I find the two cursors all but locked together when I use a Solaris
Xvnc and a vncviewer running on 95, NT or Solaris.  With a WinVNC, the
viewer remote cursor is routinely lagging behind the viewer local
cursor.

I am happy with this situation.

Perhaps if vncviewer programmers wanted to get fancy, the vncviewer
could monitor the lag and only display the local cursor when the lag
reached a pre-set level.

On a related issue, I have noticed that with the WinVNC (server) the
viewer does not always display the precise same cursor displayed on
the server machine's monitor.  For example, when resizing a Windows 95
window, I don't see the varous double arrow cursors depending on which
edge of the window I point at.  Instead, I see the cursor one normally
gets when changing the width of a column in a table (like a file
listing).

This does not happen with Xvnc.

...dav
--
David A Vincent   <mailto:davidv "at" hsa.com.au>    JUNK E-MAIL NOT WELCOME
Working (not speaking) for      Hydrographic Sciences Australia Pty Ltd