problems with vncviewer in linux 2.0.33

Jim Jowski jim "at" sm5323.mcclellan.af.mil
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:35:26 +0000

Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:

> Jim,
>
> It almost sounds as if WinVNC is sending back some info but then failing to
> read or send the display.  Some thoughts:
>
> Does vncviewer manage to print any info to stdout about the server? (pixel
> format, for example).

Here's a copy of my term window display that I launched 'vncviewer'
in/from:

sm5323:~$ vncviewer -debug snoopy:0
ReadExact: 52 46 42 20  30 30 33 2e  30 30 33 0a               RFB
003.003.
vncviewer: VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
ReadExact: 00 00 00 02                                         ....
ReadExact: e9 16 58 67  28 c6 35 40  8c 10 3a cd  4c dc f8 6e
..Xg(.5 "at" ..:.L..n
Password:
ReadExact: 00 00 00 00                                         ....
vncviewer: VNC authentication succeeded
ReadExact: 02 80 01 e0  10 10 00 01  00 1f 00 1f  00 1f 0a 05
           00 00 00 00  00 00 00 05                            ........
ReadExact: 78 73 6b 69  31                                     snoopy1
vncviewer: Desktop name "snoopy1"
vncviewer: Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
vncviewer: VNC server default format:
16 bits per pixel.
Least significant byte first in each pixel.
True colour: max red 31 green 31 blue 31
            shift red 10 green 5 blue 0
Using default colormap and translating to BGR233
Creating window depth 8, visualid 0x22 colormap 0x21
ReadExact: 00                                                  .
ReadExact: 09 00 01                                            ...

> Have you got an unusual graphics driver loaded on the PC? (It might work in
> VGA modem, or with different colour settings?)

The Windows machine is running in VGA mode and I think the resolution is
640x480.

> You can also try vncviewer with the -debug option if you want to see
> everything going back and forth.

The above 'dump' was with '-debug'.

> Have you got another Windows machine you could use to try the Windows
> viewer?

When I tried the Windows viewer on the linux box, I got nothing.  If I
remember correctly, it didn't want to open a display when I tried to
run vncserver.  I wouldn't think that trying to run either 'vncviewer'
or 'vncserver' would depend on being or not being in Xwindows, but I was
in Xwindows when I tried both.

Jim