X/vncviewer speed issue

Roman Mitnitski mitnits "at" macs.biu.ac.il
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:54:09 +0000

  Hi there.

 I was playing around with running X vncviewer on the same
workstation that was running the vnc server (so that network delays won't
count for pure performance), and at first vncviewer performed pretty bad
when I dragged the window (outline of the window was slowly (and
smoothly) crawling along the cursor).

 The reason for this is the way X handles event queue for mouse events.
When I set mouse threshold (-t option of the server) to 4 (very reasonable
valid value) the performance literary jumped up.

 Please, try it up, it may make your day. (Also I did not notice any big
improvement with windows viewer client)

 Roman