vncserver/vncviewer on Red Hat 5.0 alpha

Michael Gilbert mgilbert "at" oit.umass.edu
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 16:19:10 +0000

>From what you say I presume that you've managed to compile Xvnc for alpha
>linux but are having problems with it.

Yes. I have also dl'd the OSF binaries, which actually get "further" than the
compiled version.

>Unfortunately the "Read failed" message doesn't really help much -
>all it tells us is that the server has closed the connection,
>in this case because it's dying.  What do you get in your .vnc/X11.log?

The relevant portions:

Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/lib/X11/rgb'
   {not sure why not...}
Getting interface configuration: Invalid argument
   {huh?}
rfbInitSockets: listening on TCP port 5901
httpInitSockets: listening on TCP port 5801
rfbCheckFds: got connection
rfbProcessClientProtocolVersion: client protocol version 3.3 (server 3.3)
   {well, OK up to here...password authenticates, then:}
X connection to macaw.oit.umass.edu:1.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server
 "macaw.oit.umass.edu:1.0"
   (the end}

>Does Xvnc dump core or not?

Yes.

>Can you run Xvnc under a debugger and see what happens?
>Try adding some fprintfs to the functions in
>Xvnc/programs/Xserver/hw/vnc/rfbserver.c -
>for example rfbProcessClientMessage().

The compiled Xvnc does not even get far enough; the OSF Xvnc will
not debug with gdb. I am not yet up to the level of adding the fprintfs;
anyway, it would have to be in the context of a more stable compile.

>Cheers, Tristan

Cheers back, and thanks for the prompt feedback. My hope is that
someone with more experience and more time will get Xvnc up on
RH 5.0 Linux/Alpha and then share the binary.

Thanks again,

-MG

MICHAEL Wm. GILBERT  mgilbert "at" oit.umass.edu
Technology Development and Special Projects
Office of Information Technology (OIT)
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
Voice: 413-545-3124   Fax: 413-545-3203
A115 Lederle Graduate Research Center