problems with vncviewer in linux 2.0.33

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:48:58 +0000

> This is my second attempt at trying to get Windows VNC and
> vncview under linux to play together.  The windows version
> loads fine in Win95 and puts itself at the bottom right
> corner of the screen like I think it should.  In linux,
> the precompiled binaries are in /usr/local/bin and the java
> classes are in /usr/local/vnc/classes and when I start up
> 'vncviewer windows_machine:0' I get a grey window and a dot
> cursor with nothing but a title.  When I tried to use the
> broweser to look at 'windows_machine:5800', I get another
> blank display.

Are you sure the linux machine can talk to the windows machine?  Try pinging
it.  If that works try telnetting to the VNC port (5900) on the windows
machine.  You should get something like:

  ~% telnet snoopy 5900
  Trying 158.124.80.103...
  Connected to snoopy.cam-orl.co.uk.
  Escape character is '^]'.
  RFB 003.003
  ^]

  telnet> quit
  Connection closed.

If all this works then there must be a more subtle problem, but I'd be
surprised if that was the case.

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |