vncserver/vncviewer on Red Hat 5.0 alpha

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 12:24:12 +0000

> I have a problem accessing the Xvnc server on my alpha running RH 5.0:
>
> I can start the server using "vncserver", and it will stay up until...
>
> I try to access it with anything. If I start a viewer either locally
> with "vncviewer" or on a Win95 machine remotely, the same thing
> happens. The viewer makes the connection, asks for the password,
> authenticates, and then the server dies. "Read failed" is the message
> on the unix side failure. Ditto with the browser/java access. In
> short, the server runs until a viewer passes authentication, then it
> gets killed. If I put in an intentional bad password, it fails to
> authenticate but does not kill the server. Any ideas?

> I am using RH 5.0 Linux/Alpha, and have tried both a compiled version from
> the sources as well as the OSF binaries (which I have the legal libraries
> to run). Same thing. No Solaris.

>From what you say I presume that you've managed to compile Xvnc for alpha
linux but are having problems with it.  Unfortunately the "Read failed"
message doesn't really help much - all it tells us is that the server has
closed the connection, in this case because it's dying.  What do you get in
your .vnc/X11.log?  Does Xvnc dump core or not?  Can you run Xvnc under a
debugger and see what happens? Try adding some fprintfs to the functions in
Xvnc/programs/Xserver/hw/vnc/rfbserver.c - for example
rfbProcessClientMessage().

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |