idea: vncd

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:57:12 +0000

Well, before it dies, and in case anyone thinks ORL has been mysteriously
quiet on this thread, I'll throw in my tuppence...  I think there have been
some good ideas discussed, and Peter Tribble's system sounds rather neat.
We don't have such a system because of the way we use VNC.  A major part of
the idea, as someone pointed out, is that your session is always there, and
that you just connect and disconnect as required.  I have about 3 or 4
servers running at any one time... But I can see that people in other
situations might well need 'desktops on demand'. (How's that for a slogan?)
Actually, at one point I did have some shortcuts on my NT desktop which
allowed me a certain amount of primitive remote control using RSH.   You can
make a shortcut to 'rsh snoopy /usr/local/bin/vncserver' or something
similar, for example.

Another factor is that our internal version has some of this stuff built
in - it has a CORBA control interface which allows us to list any user's
desktops, find out about them, start connections by name instead of by
machine, control them, and shut them down.  A bit more info is given in the
docs. It doesn't allow us to start new desktops remotely, partly because of
all the nasty messing about with security and setuid, and partly because as
our desktops typically run for weeks or even months, it hasn't been worth
the effort.

The idea's basically a good one, though.  How about a standard desktop that
you could connect to without authentication, from which you could be
authenticated and start up other desktops etc.?  I'll try and add something
like it to the 'suggested projects' page...

Regards,
Quentin