idea: vncd

Ryan Kirkpatrick rkirkpat "at" nag.cs.colorado.edu
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 01:18:17 +0000

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Peter Doshi wrote:

> Who runs this "main server"?  Does it run all the time, or is it in
> inetd.conf?  Would this even work? It seems like a lot of renovation,
> rather than being "not very detailed" as you suggest.  It sounds
> interesting, but I'm not sure how feasible it would be.  And all of this
> for what?  I didn't think that VNC had a MS NetMeeting rival in mind.
> Meaning, it was developed with the intranet in mind, not the "sharing
> with friends" idea.

	The server that runs the Xvnc sessions runs the "main server".
The "main server" is a small program that just acts as a traffic
controller or broker, that could either be always running (like sendmail)
or from inetd (like ftp, telnet, etc....).
	Most of the renovation would need to be in the client code, and
then just an added function/module to perform the upfront communication
and authentication to get the remote "main server" to start a Xvnc
session, and then it could easily revert to its current mode of operation.
The use of this additional function/module could be controlled by a
command line / dialogue option.

> Yes, I think it does.  What about all the options that vncserver can
> take?  For instance, something as simple as setting the geometry, or are
> you proposing that the client has *all* the options built in, including
> control over the ~/.vnc/xstartup file from the client?  For instance, if
> I wanted to run a different window manager on the server, I'd need to
> edit the ~/.vnc/xstartup file - this *does* require telnetting in.  It
> just seems quite complicated to get away from the current
> telnet-in-and-start-it without sacrificing all the flexibilities.... so
> perhaps not entirely *change* things, but design vnc so that it supports
> the current method *and* this (although limited) "friendlier" mode, too.

	For all of the ~/.vnc files and customization, I see them as
customized once, and then Xvnc is run using these setting mutliple times.
Basically setup your configuration a head of time, and then every time you
want to run Xvnc, you don't have to telnet in and start it up. Telneting
in would just be for setup/tweaking the vnc setup. Of course this all just
and idea, and as I said, there are probably still problems with it.
	Of course, this could all be alleviated by telnetting in once and
starting Xvnc, and then never shutting it down. Then from day to day, as
your client (windows probably) is rebooted, left for the night, etc... the
Xvnc session remains running on the server, ready for your viewer to view
it from where ever. That is of course until the server is rebooted, and
you sysadmin doesn't mind you tying up the resources to run Xvnc, a window
manager, and any apps you have running. :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat "at" nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |