Vncserver problem..

Chris Woods cjwoods "at" evolv.com
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:13:54 +0000

Ish Rattan writes:
 > Context is `vnc' software.
 >
 > Machine is Ultra-1 running Solaris-2.5.1.
 >
 > The error message generated by `vncserver' script.
 >
 >  Unsupported socket function "socket" called at ././vncserver line 229.

Sounds like you might not have your perl environment set up. There
should be a sys/socket.ph rooted in wherever your perl installation's
"site_perl" dorectory would be. For example, I have installed perl's
libs etc. in /usr/local/lib/perl5. Under there is a
site_perl/sun4-solaris/ directory, in which are all the header files
that were converted from the C includes in /usr/include. Try this:

cd /usr/include
h2ph * sys/*

This should convert all the *.h files in /usr/include and
/usr/include/sys, and place them into the "natural" place for your
perl installation.

You might also want to be sure that your perl installation is indeed
perl5 and not perl4 (use ``perl -v'' for that).

/chris