idea: vncd

Ryan Kirkpatrick rkirkpat "at" nag.cs.colorado.edu
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 13:43:31 +0000

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Sounds nice but there is a catch. How do you handle multiple instances?
> How can you distinguish between these various Xservers from the X client
> point of view? Apart from that one could make a script to handle this if
> you are willing to give up multple versions of Xvnc.

	Why should you be restricted to a single session of Xvnc? Use one
"server" port that all requests for a vnc session come in on. A child
daemon is then spawned off to handle each request, relocating to another
port as needed. This should not be all that hard, probably could be
handled by another program all together on the server side, with a few
slight modifications (adding an option to support this) on the client
side.
	The result as I see it would be this:

	* User connects to the main server on a single, specified port,
say 5800.
	* The main server asks the client for username and password.
	* Client sends the server this information.
	* Username / password is verified, and if valid, a Xvnc session
is started using the next avialable display for that user.
	* The display number is passed back to the client, and the client
then switches into normal operation mode (the way it currently works),
automatically connecting to the given X display number on the remote
machine.

	Ok, this is not very detailed, and leaves out encryption of
passwords for transmission, but still should work. If I have missed
something, or totally missed the boat, please point it out! :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                     |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)    |
|  Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  | rkirkpat "at" nag.cs.colorado.edu  |
|               http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/                |