_X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:11:10 +0000

> whenever i try and run a program, i get "can't open display"
> or the errors in the subject of this message...here's my X.log, which is a
> good example....
>
> ----
> rfbInitSockets: listening on TCP port 5901
> httpInitSockets: listening on TCP port 5800
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
> xrdb: Connection refused
> xrdb: Can't open display 'irish:1'
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>
> it loks like the server runs, but there's no permissions to connect to
> it.. i tried an xhost +localhost or just an xhost+, but they all give me
> "can't open display ""...what did i miss? it's a great program, and i'll
> enjoy it a lot once i get it up and running...

This looks like your X clients are having connections refused at the TCP
level, rather than being an X authority problem.  Are you sure the server is
running as display :1 (this would mean listening for connections from X
clients on TCP port 6001)?  I notice that your X.log gives the RFB port as
5901 (consistent with display number 1) but the HTTP port as 5800 (consistent
with display number 0) - this seems a bit odd.

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |