idea: vncd

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij "at" caiw.nl
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 20:02:56 +0000

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 1998 ganesh "at" cse.iitb.ernet.in wrote:
>
> > 	maybe we should have a vncd on a server to which your client can
> > connect, authenticate itself using username,password. vncd then starts
> > Xvnc -once (+ options from user's dotfiles). This would help if you just
> > want single sessions and don't want to keep telnetting to start/kill Xvnc.
>
> 	I second this idea! It would really make it easier for a user
> (non-Linux guru) to use vnc, especially without having to telnet in, or
> worrying about having to kill the vnc server when they are done. That way,
> they can log in using the vnc viewer, do what they want to do, and then
> log out, not have to worry about anything else. I would be more than glad
> to help with this, but I am over committed as it is!

Sounds nice but there is a catch. How do you handle multiple instances?
How can you distinguish between these various Xservers from the X client
point of view? Apart from that one could make a script to handle this if
you are willing to give up multple versions of Xvnc.

It could be in the line of:

Edit /etc/services to add:

	vnc-http	5801		# Start Xvnc from browser
	vnc-native	5901		# Start Xvnc from nativ viewer

Edit /etc/inetd.conf to add:

	vnc-http	stream	tcp	nowait	user.group	/usr/sbin/tcpd	/usr/local/bin/vncserver :5 ......

And so on.

It is just a though I have not checked out but one would need some way of
stopping Xvnc as soon as you disconnect the vnc client or the browser.

Hugo.

	| Hugo van der Kooij     | Hugo.van.der.Kooij "at" caiw.nl   |
	| 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
		(Mitch Radcliffe)