idea: vncd

Ivan Popov pin "at" math.chalmers.se
Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:06:48 +0000

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Ryan Kirkpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 1998 ganesh "at" cse.iitb.ernet.in wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > 	maybe we should have a vncd on a server to which your client can
> > connect, authenticate itself using username,password. vncd then starts
> > Xvnc -once (+ options from user's dotfiles). This would help if you just
> > want single sessions and don't want to keep telnetting to start/kill Xvnc.
> >

> 	I second this idea! It would really make it easier for a user
> (non-Linux guru) to use vnc, especially without having to telnet in, or
> worrying about having to kill the vnc server when they are done. That way,

Once again: why not just let vnc client and server use stdin/stdout
instead. Then you can plug in between any session/authentication protocol,
telnet and ssh being the first that come on mind.

Why reinvent the wheel (session establishment)?

Regards,
--
Ivan Popov <pin "at" math.chalmers.se>
Systemman, Driftavdelningen, Matematiska institutionen, Chalmers TH