DOS apps under VNC

Mon, 09 Mar 1998 19:53:01 +0000

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Joseph H. Blankenship wrote:

> This may be a FAQ, but here goes.  When running VNC server on a Win95
> machine and starting a DOS box, I can't get any keyboard input to go into
> the DOS box.  Windows apps seem to work fine.  Any ideas?

This is believed to be an artefact of the way DOS boxes are handled under
Windows 95, since the they can be typed into under NT without difficulty.
We're looking into this.

> Also, is there a way to have all keystrokes sent to the server?  It would
> be nice to send Alt-Tab and Print Screen.

This depends on what type of viewer you're using.  The WinVNC server
should catch both of those key combinations properly but, at least under
the Windows viewer, they may not be sent by the client.  (Windows likes to
intercept such key events.)  Things are more straightforward for X viewers
looking at X servers, since they handle X keysyms natively.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000