VNC and Enlightenment (16bpp)

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 17:48:16 +0000

> I can't seem to run Enlightenment (an XWin manager) at 16bpp with vnc.
> I run vncserver with these options:
> 	vncserver -goemetry 976x720 -depth 16
> The X.log reports the following error:
> 	rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: ignoring unknown encoding type 3
> I've used all the encoding methods from the client's end, including raw.

> P/S: E runs fine in 24bpp mode. (vncserver -geometry 976x720 -depth 24)

This sounds like a problem with the window manager - there are plenty of X
applications out there which don't cope with different depths and visuals
properly. The "unknown encoding type 3" message is a harmless warning.

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |