Security

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel "at" exc.com
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 15:06:47 +0000

Having used VNC for a bit in-house, I'd like to use it to access my
Win95 machine over the Internet, but I'm concerned about security.  So
I have a suggestion: It would be very nice if the VNC server printed a
page to the printer with details about any incoming connection: time,
date, port (5800 or 5900) and most importantly remote IP address.  It
should go to the printer because anywhere else a potential invador can
just erase the log.  (I have all my crucial security set up this way:
the data goes so some unerasable medium.)  It shouldn't be very hard.
I would do it myself but I don't have a compiler for Win95.  Another
option is sending mail to a secure account.

-Joel
(joel "at" exc.com)