X viewer speed

David A Vincent davidv "at" hsa.com.au
Sat, 07 Mar 1998 23:52:02 +0000

Cedric Maion <Cedric.Maion "at" insa-lyon.fr> writes:

[...]
> comparable (I hate leaving my sweet Linux desktop for Windows ;-)
> Perhaps you should document the -bgr233 option :)
>
> Anyway, vnc is really great. Thank you for your job.
>
> Cheers,
>
> 	Cedric
>
> PS: I asked a friend under Windows to run the vnc server on his computer,
> and I used the X viewer to connect to it. There was some (acceptable)
> visual glitches, but the most annoying thing was the non working right
> shift (it produces circumflex accents). I don't know if it's caused by the
> server or the viewer (since I do not have access to the win32 server to
> play with the parameters)... no problem with the X server.

I found the non-working right shift, after a short period of thinking
I was going insane.  My right shift key does nothing, rather than
producing circumflexes, but I expect this is because my computers are
in Australia and Cedric's are in France.  I used the xkeycaps utility
to try and circumvent the problem by assigning the Shift_L KeySym to
my keyboard's right shift key.  This seems to work, although at the
cost of my X terminal no longer having a right shift key in the usual
place.  Happily I do not use any X applications that depend on this.

I second the call for more documentation of the X viewer, and thanks
to the developers for the truly wonderful vnc.

...dav

PS to Cedric - I mailed you an extra copy of the above because I
mistakenly directed it to you rather than the list.  Sorry about that.

...dav
--
David A Vincent   <mailto:davidv "at" hsa.com.au>    JUNK E-MAIL NOT WELCOME
Working (not speaking) for      Hydrographic Sciences Australia Pty Ltd