ctrl alt del

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij "at" caiw.nl
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 20:59:11 +0000

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Yuxin Ruan wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> >
> > I understood Ctrl-Alt-Delete is specificly used for login. I am in no
> > way familiar enough with NT to be called an expert (and I like to keep
> > it that way!) but from reading stuff and having done some Citrix stuff I
> > guess things are rather more complicated.
> >
> > So I would say this is a mission impossible.
> >
> I don't think so.
> I've worked with stuff similar to VNC, like PCAnywhere from Symantec. It
> can run both as application and service(like deamon on unix). I've done
> remote shutdown and login numerous times with it. The lastest version also
> CLAIMS;) to encrypt sessions. Citrix on the other hand, are doing thing
> very differently. My understanding is that the most difficult task is to
> convert all GUI calls from LPC(local procedure call, a light version of
> RPC) to RPC. The topics has been beaten to death on comp.os.* groups. It
> is amazing that Microsoft never bothered to implement it.
> So to sum it up, a complete remote control package is possible on Win
> side, though it involvs a more complicated server diggin deeper into
> system. To me, the greatest strength of VNC, besides been free;), is the
> fact that the protocal is open, and the availabilty of java client.
>               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                        ^^^^^

As said. I am no NT expert and expect to remain so if I have any say in
this. Being highly Linux/Unix oriented I might be off here but I am
greatfull for the fact that VNC comes with GPL.

So you could be right. But this is just as I was told. And I have neither
the means not the will to verify. I do however regret that I can't get
Xvnc compiling on my Linux Alpha system (RedHat 5.0).

Hugo.

	| Hugo van der Kooij     | Hugo.van.der.Kooij "at" caiw.nl   |
	| 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
		(Mitch Radcliffe)