ctrl alt del

Yuxin Ruan yruan2 "at" vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 20:28:23 +0000

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> I understood Ctrl-Alt-Delete is specificly used for login. I am in no
> way familiar enough with NT to be called an expert (and I like to keep
> it that way!) but from reading stuff and having done some Citrix stuff I
> guess things are rather more complicated.
>

> So I would say this is a mission impossible.

I don't think so.
I've worked with stuff similar to VNC, like PCAnywhere from Symantec. It
can run both as application and service(like deamon on unix). I've done
remote shutdown and login numerous times with it. The lastest version also
CLAIMS;) to encrypt sessions. Citrix on the other hand, are doing thing
very differently. My understanding is that the most difficult task is to
convert all GUI calls from LPC(local procedure call, a light version of
RPC) to RPC. The topics has been beaten to death on comp.os.* groups. It
is amazing that Microsoft never bothered to implement it.
So to sum it up, a complete remote control package is possible on Win
side, though it involvs a more complicated server diggin deeper into
system. To me, the greatest strength of VNC, besides been free;), is the
fact that the protocal is open, and the availabilty of java client.
Once again, Thanks, OLR.
p.s. I found the java client running better on my NT system than the
native version
  Yuxin