open look applications

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij "at" caiw.nl
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 20:28:20 +0000

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Tristan Richardson wrote:

> > > What a great hack! However...
> > >
> > > Attempting to run Sun Net Manager version 2.2.2 on a Sparc-5 running
> > > Solaris 2.6 under vnc yields the following (fatal) errors:
> > >
> > > Error: Can not allocate a read/write cms from a static visual
> > > Error: NULL pointer passed to xv_set
> >
> > Does Sun Net Manager require a certain way of screen control? Like it will
> > only work on 8 bit screens where your Xvnc may be running 16 bpp?
>
> By default, vncserver will start Xvnc with the same depth as the current X
> display, if there is one, or 8 bits deep if there isn't.  We've tried to steer
> clear of colour maps as much as possible and normally use "true colour", even
> when there are only 8 bits per pixel.
>
> Unfortunately some X applications don't cope too well with an 8 bit TrueColor
> visual - this sounds like one of them.  You can make Xvnc use the more normal
> PseudoColor visual by giving a "-cc 3" option to vncserver.  This should
> basically work, but there are some known problems (e.g. sharing such a desktop
> doesn't work properly).  The other thing to do is try using a "-depth 16" or
> even "-depth 24" option to see if that makes things better.

I do think that Sun Net Manager needs a color map instead of a true color
display. I do suspect plenty of other application still expect the Xserver
to be 8 bit with color maps.

I do think it would be wise to be mentioned in the FAQ.

Hugo.

	| Hugo van der Kooij     | Hugo.van.der.Kooij "at" caiw.nl   |
	| 3155 VJ  Maasland      | (De man met de rode hoed)    |
		(Mitch Radcliffe)