porting VNC viewer to PalmPilot: some open questions...

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 18:57:26 +0000

> If I'm working in a small window, I don't really need to see
> the entire screen.  It would be nice if I could make the viewer
> smaller and thereby reduce bandwidth.

The protocol allows precisely this behaviour - in the FramebufferUpdateRequest
message the client can request updates for a particular rectangle of the
screen.  As well as the scenario you describe this could also be used for
sending different parts of the same desktop to multiple viewers at the same
time, which might be useful if you had a large desktop and 2 or more small but
adjacent screens on which to view it.

However none of the servers or viewers support this properly at the moment :-(.

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |