ctrl alt del

Fri, 06 Mar 1998 17:58:41 +0000

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Grim Reaper wrote:

> When it comes to this ctrl alt del issue, why not code specific buttons
> into the viewer, or java applet (for people using netscape and IE like me,
> as management is kinda strict about putting software on the workstations)
> that will send ctrl alt del (and ctrl-alt-backspace would be nice) to the
> machine your connected to.

Currently, sending Ctrl-Alt-Del would not be useful on NT because of the
way in which the logon desktop is handled.  When you press Ctrl-Alt-Del,
the logon desktop is brought to the front.  But since WinVNC is running in
the user desktop and has set it's hooks there, it can't see any screen
updates in the logon desktop or send any keystrokes to it.

On Windows 95, pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del will halt all running applications (I
believe?), so this won't be useful either because WinVNC will be one of
them.

We're looking into ways of providing VNC output that don't involve running
a user-local process and therefore won't from such problems but in the
near future at least, these limitations can't readily be lifted.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000