okay, next questiion

Tristan Richardson tjr "at" orl.co.uk
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 12:39:09 +0000

> Okay, next question, I have it running great, afterstep (and enlightenment
> once, never again, too graphic). Only problem is, I can only run vncserver
> as root, and no other user, so my users on this machien cannot use it, as
> I'm not letting them have an open xterm logged in as root.

I have now put this question is now in the FAQ:

Q. Why can I only run vncserver/Xvnc as root?

  The most likely reason for this is that Xvnc can't create the unix domain
  socket (the path for this unix domain socket is usually /tmp/.X11-unix/Xn).
  Try making sure that users can write to this directory by making it
  world-writable, i.e. "chmod a+w /tmp/.X11-unix".

Cheers

Tristan

|  Tristan Richardson                 Email:  tjr "at" orl.co.uk          |
|  ORL                                  Tel:  +44 1223 343000        |
|  24a Trumpington Street               Fax:  +44 1223 313542        |
|  Cambridge, CB2 1QA, UK               WWW:  http://www.orl.co.uk/  |
|          ORL - The Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory           |