perfmon problem

Fri, 06 Mar 1998 10:18:46 +0000

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Yuxin Ruan wrote:

> perfmon.exe(the performance monitor) does not update continously unless
> the screen is set up to full-screen-polling. Is there a less dramatic way
> to monitor the NT servers? Perhaps a special message just for
> perfmon.exex?

There is a standard way to cope with applications which periodically
update their displays but which don't use normal paint messages.  Looking
in the system registry under Local_User/Software/Orl/VNCHooks will reveal
an Application_Prefs key.   This key has an entry added to it for every
program run while the NT/95 box is being used remotely.  When the program
quits, the registry settings will be created if they don't already exist.

The settings available for each application are detailed in the
documentation for WinVNC but I believe that the one you want is use_Timer,
which will cause the perfmon.exe window to be scanned for updates every
time a timer messages is sent to it.  Since perfmon uses timer messages to
update its display, this should work fine and not introduce too much extra
load (provided the window isn't too large.)

I hope this solves your problem.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000