porting VNC viewer to PalmPilot: some open questions...

Kenneth Albanowski kjahds "at" kjahds.com
Fri, 06 Mar 1998 01:25:42 +0000

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Vladimir Minenko wrote:

> #define BUFFER_SIZE (640*480)
> static char buffer[BUFFER_SIZE];
>
> Unfortunately, it is impossible to have such a buffer on Pilot. I don't know what
> the PalmOS 3.0 will have (will be released on Monday) but current PalmOS 2.0.x
> has following restrictions: not more than 4k stack, not more than 32k heap,
> not more than 64k static global or local data.

Actually, that's the restriction on a contiguous block. There is nothing
to stop you from allocating a number of large blocks, and adapting the
code to use them as if they were a linear array.

> What I'm thinking about is a viewable area of 160x160 (full Pilot screen),
> 1 or 4 bit depth with panning virtual desktop of the actual resolution on
> the server. Due to this Pilot will receive only a 160x160 initial portion
> of the screen and request further small updates if the user pan around in
> the desktop.

Yes, that also seems feasible, although the utility of the 2-bit grey
(it's not 4-bit, unfortunately) is debatable.

--
Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds "at" kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)