trouble running vncserver under Linux

Pascal Bleser pbleser "at" prov-liege.be
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 23:47:23 +0000

I'm only following this m-list for some days, now and I'm really sorry if I
take some of your time for a stupid question (maybe ?)...
I've trouble running VNC on Linux:
The problem is the following:
I would like to start "vncserver" on a remote Linux box named 'tabatha' [but
on the same LAN... 4 rooms away, in fact :^) ] that has the following
configuration :
- S.u.S.E. Linux 5.0
- kernel 2.0.30
- X-Free 86 3.2.1 (I think)
- perl 5.004
and have the display on my Win'95 machine
Now, I'm getting this strange error when I launch vncserver as root (through
a telnet connection on Tabatha):
# tabatha:/usr/local/bin/vnc# vncserver
# Number found where operator expected at (eval 38) line 1, near ") 0"
# (Missing operator before 0?)
# New 'X' desktop is tabatha:1
# Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
# Log file is /root/.vnc/X.log
(without the #s of course...it's only for a better readability (can I say
that in English ?) ;-) )
I guess the error comes from a problem with the perl configuration...
I'm sorry, but perl definately is one thing I still have to explore on Linux
(there isn't that much left, but...), so it might be a stupid mistake, but I
really can't figure out what.
Thank you for your time
pbleser "at" prov-liege.be