Vncviewer problem with RedHat 5.0(i386)

Thu, 05 Mar 1998 12:11:55 +0000

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Derek R. Pizzagoni wrote:

> The only difference I found was that the Solaris server was coming back
> with 8 bits per pixel, and the Windows NT vncserver (the one I can't
> connect to from Linux) was coming back with 16 bits per pixel.

The Windows VNC server (WinVNC) will _always_ report 16 or 32 bits per
pixel.  This is because Windows uses colour palettes for displays with 256
colours or less, so they are instead converted to 16 bit non-palette based
format before being transmitted by WinVNC, to avoid the need for clunky
palette-handling code.

> Other than that, is there a way to run vncviewer on a machine that is
> set at 8bpp, and view a vncserver that is set at 16bpp?

Yes.  This is all handled automatically.  It is the responsibility of the
VNC server to produce the format that the client requests.  WinVNC will
happily output whatever format the client requests, despite internally
always using 16 or 32 bit colour.

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000